Monday, February 13, 2012

Back to the Present

Just in case you may be tiring of the trip through my past again, here are some images of kitchens I love today.  I am an avid reader of blogs, and these kitchens have appeared on some of my favorites.  The kitchens are very different but also contain common elements.



So many things I love about this kitchen: the black La Cornue stove, the awesome set of knives to the left of it, the utensils in crocks to the right of it, the Staub pot on the rear burner, favorite spices near at hand on the back of the stove, favorite cookbooks on a nearby shelf.  Best of all, wonderful still life paintings atop the hood vent.  I could live in this kitchen.


Now a simpler looking kitchen that seems very Belgian and may have been saved from Belgian Pearls, one of my most favorite blogs.  While the stove cannot be seen, I love the cabinets, countertops and clean look, yet still leaving you with a feeling that cooking will soon occur.


Again, I like the clean look of this kitchen and included it because it has the same tolix chairs that I have in my kitchen.  In my opinion, the room appears a bit large, and the cook appears to be dashing about.  And all those dishes on the racks look wonderful, but I fear they need washing before use.
Still, there is something that made me save this image.  Could be the presence of veggies on the table.


This kitchen is the creation of Axel Pairon.  He and his mother are two Belgian designers about whom I can never read enough.  Love the openness, the beams, the weathered posts and table.  Now, I am a real lover of beiges and browns, but the tangerine color of these chairs looks great here.


Again, a very Belgian-looking kitchen with lots of vegetables visible under the island.  The desk on the left is something I wish I could fit in my own kitchen, but no such luck.  My kitchen table must double as my desk.  Great wooden bowl, one of my passions, rests in the foreground.


I cannot remember where I saw this kitchen, but I know I saved it because of the black island.  My kitchen cabinets, built by my husband, are stained a mellow pine color.  I often think of painting them black, but paint would be forever.  What if I hate it in my kitchen - difficult to go back to stain after paint.  My designer daughter-in-law thinks it would look great, but I'm too scared to try it so keep looking at other kitchens whose owners are braver than I.


A kitchen by Steven Gambrel that has cabinets the color of mine which makes me second guess myself on the black thing.  How much do you love that fireplace right next to the kitchen table!  So cozy.  I'm into cozy.


This kitchen is from the movie It's Complicated.  Never could figure out why Meryl Streep wanted a new kitchen when this one looks great and when so many wonderful meals happened around that table.  Notice again the touch of orange.  At the risk of offending a reader, I would get rid of the fabric under the counter on the left.  I hate (sorry to be so opinionated) fabric instead of doors.  It alway looks messy, and I know it is going to suffer when cooks' hands reach inside.  Bad kitchen idea.


Ok, as you can see this kitchen is from Segreto Finishes.  It is my new most favorite.  I love so many things about it.  Again, a black La Cornue stove, oils and vinegar nearby, that great window over the sink, the mellow color of the cabinets, island and ceiling, and those industrial-restoration-hardware- looking stools.  The lighting, the glass-doored refrigerator, the shelving with the copper pots - all great.
Haven't figured out why the ladder is next to the refrigerator, but there must be a good reason and I love it.  Have saved this image as my screen saver just so it can be savored and studied every time I open the computer.  Love, love it, but next time it's back to the past to see another Wyeth-esque home.

33 comments:

  1. I LOVE looking at these wonderful kitchens! Each has such a different character. The only problem: now I want to redo ours!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian. Your very sweet for checking in on my newbie blog.

      Delete
    2. OMG, I used the wrong "your", and I was an English teacher. Sorry, Brian, it will haunt me that I did not write "you're."

      Delete
  2. I took Greet from Belgian Pearls' advice and checked out your blog...looks like it will be a great source of inspiration. Too funny that I've found you via someone in Belgium- my parents are on Seneca Lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, can't believe you found my blog via Belgium. Well, yes I can because Greet was so special in doing a post about my blog. I have been following hers forever and love, love it.

      Do your parents live close to Geneva? My son went to Hobart. The internet makes the world a small place indeed!

      Delete
    2. No, they are down in Hector...closer to Watkins Glen.

      Delete
  3. Visiting from Belgian Pearls - thank you to Greet for the introduction to your blog :-)

    I was having trouble deciding on my favourite kitchen till I got to the last image - WOW! That is one amazing kitchen! So many fabulous elements, like the wood and the La Cornue stove. But my very favourite thing about that kitchen is the gorgeous window. Black steel frame windows are one of my design crushes, and that's just a gorgeous example of one.

    I hope you'll stop by and visit my blog - my latest post is about a gorgeous grey & brass kitchen I saw at IDS12.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I love that window too. Actually there is nothing about that kitchen that I do not love.

      I visited your blog. The grey and brass kitchen was wonderful. Have seen very few brass fixtures which makes them so unique to me.
      And I love grey in a kitchen. I'm just not a white kitchen kind of gal.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Hello Billie,
    I found your blog from my friend Greet ! All this kitchens are wonderful, but I prefer the n°2 and 5, more simple.
    I think kitchen is a good idea for a blog !
    Céline, french watercolorist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in. I think I remember Greet doing a blog on your watercolor renderings of homes. So beautiful.

      Glad you like the idea of a kitchen blog. Though my daughter thinks I am wandering away from the kitchen theme sometimes, I know it will all come together and am having fun writing it. Greet was so kind to do a posting that had not completely "come together" but I won't let her or you down.

      Delete
  5. I came through Greet, and I am so glad I did! Kitchens are what I love, maybe because mine is small, old and well, let's say not exactly what I crave!
    Your kitchens are all delightful, they bring together al the elements I like as well!
    Part history, part contemporary, natural elements, fresh air, an open window connecting me with all where my food comes from, the country side...Stone and wood, wicker and linen!
    As for the ladder...i that last image, perhaps the owner needs a step up to reach all these gleaming copper pots...Or just for the look of it!
    Or swishing away the cobwebs under the beams.
    Love Nr.5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitchens are the soul of a house even if they are "small, old and well...not exactly what you crave." I'll bet it is still where everyone gathers, and I'll bet it is where wonderful food is made. Be patient with me as I wander from older kitchens to present ones. I think it will all come together.

      You're right. I'll bet the ladder is for getting to the top of those great shelves.

      Greet was her generous self in doing a posting about my new blog. I have loved Belgian Pearls forever.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful blog- I love your pictures! I too, came over from Greet's blog :) Funny thing though- I am from Fairport! I used to vacation on Canandaigua Lake! Too funny. Looking forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are from Fairport!! Our first apartment was on Main Street in Fairport. Glad such a neighbor will be following my blog. Bear with me as I try to make it as interesting as Greet's. "Belgian Pearls" is my favorite.

      Delete
  7. Hi Billie, I also arrived here via Greet at Belgian Pearls. These are great kitchens, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank you for stopping by. I will try to make it as interesting as the blogs I love and Belgian Pearls is at the top of my list.

      Delete
  8. Another visitor from Greet!! What a great friend to have! Your blog is a feast for the eye. Who of us doesn't love a kitchen, the soul of the house. I love them so much that my girlfriend arranged a movie party for us yesterday, specifically choosing "It's Complicated" to show me the kitchen!!! I said the same thing you did, about her wanting to change the kitchen!! [ Although, I am a skirt lover :o ]
    I live on Everafter Farm in upstate New York , too.
    Best wishes on your new blog,
    xx
    dawne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for checking in. Greet was so generous to do a posting on my newbie blog. She is quite special.

      About "It's Complicated" - the movie so much talked about Steve Martin's plans for the new kitchen. I felt cheated in not seeing it when the original was so perfect. Didn't you also love her food store??

      Delete
  9. Hello from Seattle - via Belgian Pearls!

    I am also loving neutral colors and wooden beams together with rust/tangerine! That dining area is stunning!

    Wish you tons of happiness on your blog journey!

    ox, Mon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for responding and for liking neutral colors - a fellow "griege" lover. My daughter did her residency in Seattle, so I visited there many times. What a beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so thrilled Greet sent me over you have a beautiful blog so far and I can't wait to read more. Welcome aboard Billie!

    Happy Valentine's Day!
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. My blog has a long way to go, but I am so thankful that Greet sent over such nice people. "Acquired Objects" is a blog I check in on everyday!

      Delete
  12. Hi found you from Belgian Pearls. I was excited to discover a blog only about kitchens. We are about to embark on a renovation of ours. I love the one above with the black island. My favorite. I really want to do that, my husband isnt' sure, (he doesn't get it so I am trying to educate him, hehe) I would love a European range but its out of our budget so am going with a Bluestar. Hope you might do a post on appliances one day. Since you love kitchens you will LOVE the kitchen that Tina from Enchanted Home just built, it is out of this world beautiful. Her blog is Enchanted Home, you should check it out. I look forward to more of your kitchen posts and will now follow you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found me too, thanks to Greet. I hope I can give you more inspiration as you check in. Yes, I do follow "Enchanted Home," but it is almost too enchanted and grand for me. So out of reality for so many people, but it is beautiful and fun to dream.

      Delete
  13. Greet is to be congratulated for sending us all over to someone so lovely! I like your descriptions of the kitchens which made me look more closely at each one instead of just saying love that...no not for me....that, I found something in each image.
    Don't worry if you go of tangent at times we won't mind! My first blog was called mostly older than me and was supposed to be about the furniture we restored...Don't think I ever wrote a post on that subject...oh well maybe one!!! Still made a lot of wonderful friends so it is lovely to meet you and I am following along. Julienne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over, Julienne, and for being understanding about the journey I am taking. I really enjoy writing it and reviewing the many homes I've loved over the years. My big problem is that instead of clipping images from magazines, I've saved the magazines themselves. I thought this would help preserve the photos, but sifting through years of magazines is tough. It does help me to give appropriate credit, but images saved from the internet makes that credit more difficult. But, I will learn. I figured no one would really care because only my children were following me!

      Delete
  14. Greet recommended you and I want to congratulate you on your new post. I love these kitchen images. (I am in the midst of a kitchen remodel, even as we speak.) My favorite -- like yours -- is the "Segreto" kitchen. The Segreto blog recently featured the house this kitchen is in and the rest of it is equally beautiful. The refrigerator in this kitchen is the one I selected for my kitchen. I cannot wait until it is put in place this week. As for the ladder, maybe they use the copper pots and they need the ladder to retrieve them from the upper shelves. I am looking forward to following your posts on my all-time favorite subject.
    All the best...Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the posting on the Segreto blog, which I check daily, is where I saw that kitchen and it was love at first sight. The whole house is beautiful, but kitchens are the soul of a house and are my focus. That one really is my desktop image right now. I never tire of studying it. Congrats on your new refrigerator. Besides being so beautiful, it is so practical and will be incentive not to let any food accidentally turn green which we have all seen happen:) It will be wonderful. Post a picture when it's instaled and thank you so much for following Greet's kind recommendation and viewing the kitchens that I have loved.

      Delete
  15. Hi Billie,
    Came over here via Greet's blog and I'm so glad to have found your blog. Congratulations on your new venture and I look forward to seeing many inspirational posts here.

    Best wishes from India,
    Chryselle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind welcome. I hope my "venture" will inspire you, as I have been inspired by many others (especially Greet's).

      Delete
  16. Hello,

    Welkom in the world of Blogger. I was so trilled when I see your blog on Belgian pearls!

    Greetings from Belgium
    Jérôme

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,
    The kitchen that you like but did not know where it came from is the kitchen in the home of Tulsa, Oklahoma, architect Jack Arnold. I love this architect mainly because he designs homes with a european flair. Well know for his Country French homes in Tulsa and around the USA. I got to your blog through Greet.

    You can google Jack Arnold and you will be amazed by his home designs.

    Greetings from Virginia, USA

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this great article, I really enjoyed the insign you bring to the topic, awesome stuff!

    Kitchen cabinets oklahoma city

    ReplyDelete