Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Belgium, California, Pennsylvania, and Maine


Bet you are wondering what these disparate areas have in common.  They are all places where I might (if I win the Power Ball) have one of my five houses.  But they are so different, you say.  Therein lies my conundrum.  But, since I have not won any lotteries, I will just stay put in upstate New York and dream of other lands and other houses like the ones that follow.

A Belgium home appeared in this 1999  edition of English Homes and Gardens and immediately caught my attention with its clean, neutral, spare design.





"You have got to be kidding!" my family and friends cried, "this is not you."  But it is - part of me loves it.

Moving along - California.  (Sorry I cannot note this article's origin- tore it from its original magazine before ever thinking about blogging.)  It has many common elements with the Belgian one above - a neutral palette, uncluttered-ness, serenity.



 




This home might be a bit too funky for me now - the driftwood bed, the canvas curtains - but I still love its clean, natural look, and it stopped me in my tracks years ago and made me look at design differently.  

Onto Pamela Pierce in 2006 - another lesson in neutrality.

Who wouldn't love this look??

Whether these doors are rust or black, you "gotta love 'em".

Similar neutrality and spareness here.



A bit of bright orange to enliven all the neutrals.  Necessary??

Even in October, Californians enjoy open doors.  All that wonderful weather has a tiny drawback.  A garden designer from California once explained to me that their gardens have to look beautiful all year long.  The northeastern climes have a respite from gardening several months of the year.  I have to say, by the time the leaves are collected, I'm ready for inside tasks.  Still, the open doors and vineyards look beautiful to me.


Touch of green inside.

Even the dog is neutral.


Love this bath.  At my home, a chipmunk would probably join me.

Breezeway leading to courtyard.


So, so lovely.  Who wouldn't want a home just like this one.

But then, there's Wyeth country in Pennsylvania with all its artists and antiques - a place I love. Remember this example from one of my previous posts.

There are no French doors or open baths, but the history and the antiques!

Oh, the antiques...

and wooden bowl...

and coziness,,,

and deep-set windows,

and the art.  Not a lot of neutrality here, but so much to match it in other ways.

Then I found the following article about Anna B (Andrew Wyeth's niece), in Maine.

And the family's art... 

no vineyards, but the ocean...

and antiques...

and history...

and antiques...

and studios...

and books.  Definitely need a home in Maine.  What to do, what to do?  If lottery winnings are not in my future, I'll just keep planning my five houses in my mind and on my blog!

I have not forgotten that this blog is entitled Kitchens I Have Loved.  So here's a few I have.






See how different yet how beautiful these kitchens are?   What's a non-winner of the Lottery to do?
Neutral, spare, antique, Belgian, Californian, Pennsylvanian, or Maine-r - love them all.  So, I'll just keep dreaming of my five houses and blogging about them here.  

Stay tuned and stay cool.  (Over 90 here today.)
b

25 comments:

  1. Every day I visit a number of blog sites to see content, however this offers quality based content.
    vremi online

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amiable articles and the blogs really helped me a lot, thanks for the valuable information.
    find more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, nice post!

    Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ mua hộ hàng mỹ và chuyên order hàng mỹ uy tín trên amazon đức và dịch vụ mua hàng trên pandora úc cũng như dịch vụ order hàng hàn quốc về VN uy tín.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to take the power of thanking you for that specialized guidance I've constantly enjoyed viewing your blog.
    click here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great information. I have been following your posts for quite sometime now. Keep up the good work and delight us with many such valuable unique contents. Thanks.
    air conditioner maintenance
    handyman
    home repairs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing very helpful information. I found another Kitchens in Noida, site , they provide very helpful services.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Discover our broad selection of modern contemporary custom kitchen and bath cabinets and stylish furniture. We've got the cabinets to fit your style. Come visit us at our showroom to see how modern cabinets can transform your home. We carry complete furniture with unique designs and style.
    Modern Contemporary Kitchen Bath

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great ideas. I am thinking how much more educational benefit could result from incorporating them in virtual worlds. Here we get only pictures. If they were in a virtual world,we could go there and perhaps even observe them in action.
    Modular Furniture
    Kitchen baskets
    Sliding wardrobes
    Siemens appliances in Nashik

    ReplyDelete
  9. I perused your web journal on a every day premise. This can be a very extraordinary and instructive post. Much obliged for sharing. bath seat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our company is founded by a group of passionate interior designers and professional cabinet makers.
    kitchen cabinets

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, this is a good post without any doubt. You really do a great job. I am inspired by you, so keep it up!
    https://www.lcrenovation.co.uk/loft-conversion-in-battersea/
    House Renovations in Battersea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. its beautiful . i like it. if you want kitchen marblbe countertops in home. then we provide good quality countertops. you can visit our site.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Nice Blog!!! Thank you for sharing the information. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, waiting for a more new post. Keep Blogging!!!
    https://www.lcrenovation.co.uk/loft-conversion-in-dulwich/
    House Renovations in Dulwich

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey,
    Really enjoyed reading your post. It’s amazing ! Thank you for sharing with us :)buy kitchen furniture online

    ReplyDelete
  15. All is well, except some dining set. They also good but need to some modern tables set there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The principle effectiveness of a residential look that can assist you always keep, ready yourself as well as cause portions diet regime as well as in order to perform like undertakings as with dishwashing.replacement retractable screen for storm door

    ReplyDelete
  17. The measurements and size of Schrock cupboards you'll require in your kitchen will be founded on an assortment of variables. It's enjoyable to toy with different thoughts for cupboards' tones, styles, plans, or even materials. Be that as it may, onto the genuine issue, on the off chance that you don't have the appropriate measurements for your
    Custom kitchen Cabinets

    ReplyDelete
  18. The chief capabilities associated with a home seem to be to help you keep, prepare yourself and additionally make meals diet and additionally to try and do corresponding projects just like dishwashing.frigidaire serial number date code

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a really cool post. I love this kitchen. It is completely the style that would fit me.frigidaire serial number date code

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice blog, great information. Thanks for the useful information. Kindly do visit our website for our latest project.
    Nice blog, great information. Thanks for the useful information. Kindly do visit our website for our latest project.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this article this article is informative and helpful for home improvement.

    ReplyDelete