Monday, June 3, 2013

Still Saladino

But sadly, this may be my last post (at least for a while) on this designer whose work I love.  Saladino's colors, his Renaissance sensibilities, his blending of the old with the new - all speak to me.  Alas, "there are miles to go" in my design journey, so move along I must after this posting. Please enjoy this rather lengthy view of a master.

From my library of magazines, let's look at this issue from October of 1994.  I saved it...

because of the following images.  The exterior is not typical of Saladino, but see what he does with its redesign.

In many home redos today, this design would still  work.

Cool kitchen for the 90's.  You know, I went to an estate sale last week, and there were many crocks for sale similar to those above this refrigerator and none of them were selling.  Even antiques have a shelf life, I guess.  Give it another 20 years and they'll be "in" again.  I like this kitchen with or without the crocks.



He uses this chair design a lot- I really like it, sort of an upscale director's chair.  And the table cloth arrangement reminds me of the the one used in the dining room of his latest book, Villa.  

Isn't the desk niche above a bit reminiscent of his Villa Dilemma office below?  Maybe it's the thick walls that seem so similar.



More of the now passe crocks in such a lovely room.

Onto 1995, and a real favorite of mine.


Everything about this room needed to be incorporated into my home - the antiques, the plants, the wall treatments, the colors, the tablescapes.  But, how could this work in my cape cod house in upstate New York?   It could not.  It's when I realized I really do need about seven houses to meet all the design I love, and this house would definitely be one of the seven.  There are no imperfections here at all.


Again, doesn't this remind you of his Villa Dilemma?  Almost like he was practicing here for his masterpiece later.

Love the windows and doors in this dining room.


Corner of living room also with great windows. 

If like me, you have his book Villa, I'll bet you see many similarities between this house andVilla Dilemma seen in his book.  Sometimes it seems they are the same house.


Isn't this a spectacular home?  It was a great issue of House Beautiful, and I will be using it again later for other design and designers.

Onto 2001 and a very different architectural design in West Virginia.



Salaidino's interior design still evident within a very contemporary architecture.






Very interesting exterior.  Very different for Saladino.

Now to 2011, and a home many of you may be familiar with and one I love.

How pure and traditional is his dining room!  And, he's right, who needs "swags and ruffles."  In this home, he again uses his scratch coat plaster.  Always makes his rooms look so old-European.  Here his scratch coat is hung with a Rothko painting - love it.


Peeks of warm, beautiful views seen below through living room windows.



His designs always suit the environment of the home.  This house feels cool and lovely with no Florida kitsch.  And his bathrooms are always more than bathrooms; they are events!




And now to the home that appears in Paula Rice Jackson's Monochrome.  If you do not own this book, buy it.  It includes the work of some marvelous designers, a Prologue by Saladino and coverage of one of his houses in which he executed both the architecture and the interior design.

The home was built not in California, not in Florida, but in the less clement weather of the Pacific Northwest.   The monochrome color of this home is "griege" and I think I love this house even more than Villa Dilemma.  "Everything in this house takes its cue from wood, stone, and undyed textiles."
Now I think this home  or one very like it must be one of my seven houses.
A small little caveat here.  I am uncomfortable with nudes.  Call me naive, prudish, a philistine even,  whatever. But, be they gods or goddesses, be they men or women, be they nymphs or satyrs, be they angels or devils, if they are nude, I am uncomfortable.  I just don't know where to look.  Despite all that discomfort, I love this room - the stone, the metal, the monochrome colors, the fabric, and at least the nude in triptych is muted.

Different view of same room.  Even love the paperwhites.



The views are spectacular out every window and the windows themselves are all spectacular.



Fireplace niche.


Really love this kitchen.  Just hope it has some of those great windows and views we cannot see in this image.

What a great house!!  Don't you just love all the wood and metal and views??  And how fitting I should end with one of his great kitchens I have loved.

So ends my concentration on John Saladino.  He remains today one of my favorite designers just as he was in the 90's and earlier.  By the by, Joni Webb did a recent posting on Cote de Texas revealing that Saladino's Villa Dilemma, his home and subject of Villa upon which he worked two entire years, has been sold to Ellen Degeneres.  Hope she keeps it very Saladino-esque.  By another by, if you google Designer Visions 2009, you will see a video of a great apartment he designed based on "Girl with a Pearl Earring" with lots of his own comments.  I tried to download it for you here, but failed miserably.

With John Saladino so ends my warm and cozy series.  Who needs warm and cozy in the summer?  Next time it's on to southern homes.  My tour of Charleston homes last year and Savannah homes this year awakened a real appreciation for southern design.  Stay tuned.
Your personal philistine,
b




4 comments:

  1. Saladino is truly the best of the best! When I see one of his projects, these are the words that come to mind: classical, modern, architecture, timeless!

    BTW, the HB cover featuring the orangery at Mt Vernon by Victoria Hagan is beautiful. I don't have that issue, but I know this image very well. Are there more photos of the orangery inside?

    xo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Billie - It's so interesting to see Saladino's early "work" and compare it to his current designs. He is one of my favorites and this is the most comprehensive post I've seen of his designs. Looking forward to your posts on southern homes. Bring on the heat....

    -Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thanks for this lovely blog as I found it very interesting. Saladino is one of the famous designers and this is very good for me that I found there all work history in one place. Keep updating us.

    kitchens Manchester

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appriciable article, We at Property Hunters shifted this service to a level much higher than the broker concept. you can see more details like this article Good location

    ReplyDelete