Sunday, April 15, 2012

Try Not to Be Confused

In this design journey of mine, I am now two postings into the English influence.  I have to say, there have been a couple of negative comments about this particular influence, mainly from my son.  "I don't like all this flowery, cozy stuff, Mom.  I liked Pennsylvania much more."  I asked him if he remembered long ago when my slip covers were laden with flowers and checks.  "Yes.  And I didn't like it then," he said.  Well, whose blog is this anyway?  Let him write his own!   That being said, I am going to back to Pennsylvania today, not because of any critics, but because, in my search for English articles, I came across several more on Pennsylvania.  Before mislaying these articles again, I thought I would share them.  (And I hope it keeps my harshest critic quiet.)

The following images are from Architectural Digest, July 1986.  I really do love this stone house and I do love Pennsylvania, but honestly I thought readers might have had enough.  Guessed wrong.

How beautiful are these antiques.

The home owners here collect very fine primitive art and toys.  The painting below is a late Edward Hicks.

Different view of dower chest and beautiful corner cupboard.

Right view of living room.

I know I should be writing about England, but still love this wonderful yellow painted cupboard brimming with red ware pottery.

A collection of fine fracturs (decorated documents).

More fracturs, primitive painting, whirligigs and beautiful floors.

This home and this bedroom have trim paint colors very similar to ones our home had long ago.


Now onto a presentation of Laura Bohn and Richard Fiore's kitchen in Pennsylvania - I talked about their home several postings ago and wished I had more information on their kitchen.  I found some.

The husband and wife team wanted to bring light into their new kitchen while retaining the character of the old house.  Avoiding sliding glass windows was a necessity.

Pantry shelving in front of a window provides both light and storage.

Old storage atop new counters marries the old and the new seamlessly.

More storage and light.

New skylight brightens the breakfast area.

New dining terrace.

On the terrace's table.


Next, because it is spring and because I also found this garden article while searching for English ones, please enjoy this beautiful Japanese garden in Pennsylvania.  "Japanese inspiration in Pennsylvania." Are you confused yet?
Architectural Digest, July 1987



These images all speak for themselves.


I know they speak for themselves, but don't you love the dappled light in this garden??

And the azaleas and wisteria.

And the moon bridge.



Lastly, this home looks English and is English - a little preview of my next posting.  And a little reassurance that England is beautiful indeed.  So my dear son and my main critic, take that :)
Till next time in England-
b

4 comments:

  1. Hi Billie - So wonderful to have you visited my new blog. Now, I've found you! You wrote about many of my favorites here: PA stone homes, English homes, gardens, and folk art. I was just in PA antiquing yesterday (Sunday)....told my partner how much I'd love to have a small stone Penna cottage....filled with English antiques and American fold art, of course! Looking forward to your next post on England, where I visit often. Loi in DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, I meant American folk art, not fold art! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is a very nice one and gives in-depth information. Thanks for this nice article
    https://www.lcrenovation.co.uk/house-extension-in-chiswick/
    House Renovations in Chiswick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Blog is so useful and informative. Surely it will help others a lot. Thanks for this post. Keep blogging.
    tax plaining in barking

    ReplyDelete