Saturday, March 17, 2012

Still in Pennsylvania for a Bit Longer


I really do plan on moving to another location, but, in organizing my magazines in a chronological order (of sorts), I keep finding more articles on more lovely homes in Pennsylvania.  What's a blogger to do?  Even after I think I'm done with the state, more articles keep popping onto the scene.  I think the homes included here are quite special.  I'm also including an image of aristochiens by Thierry Poncelet (when I stumbled upon this, I thought of Greet's earlier post on Belgian Pearls), and lastly, to stay true to my blog's name, I'm including two interesting kitchens.


This first home was published in Colonial Homes, Fall-Winter, 1976-1977, an issue from over thirty years ago yet it still holds a timeless appeal.





Lots to love about these rooms - the antiques, of course, the paneling, the paint colors, deep set windows and this conservatory at the end - in this conservatory with its soft feel of summer in the dead of winter, I wouldn't even mind the uncomfortable ladder-back chairs.  (Honestly now, have you ever known a ladder-back to be comfortable??)  If we substituted the primitive paintings with Wyeth ones, this home might be in Brandywine country.


My second home today appeared in Architectural Digest's June 2009 issue.  For many years, Architectural Digest devoted their June issue to only country homes.  I always watched for it as June drew near to find just such beauties as this one.


Just seeing these first two photos, don't you just want to move right in?  Love Pennsylvania stone houses and, to make it even better,  it's peony season.

Again, even though I like much primitive art, without it here, this could be a Wyeth home.  Love that little tavern table in front of the leather sofa.

Ditto the above comment minus the table comment.

Even though it's peony season, the fireplace is so appealing.  The dinnerware and wine glasses are lovely here and notice the peony centerpiece.

Part of an upstairs bedroom with dormer window.

Why don't more bedrooms today have fireplaces?  Love them - even in peony season.

What a great spot for appetizers and the closest image this article had to a kitchen.  I'm sure it's just outside the kitchen though.  And that wisteria.  The only wisteria I ever had never bloomed, not even once, and after ten years, I yanked it out.  Here, the wisteria absolutely makes the setting.  In my fantasy Pennsylvania house, my wisteria will bloom, bedrooms will have fireplaces, and Wyeth paintings will abound.

The owners of this beautiful home have wonderful taste and are living my fantasy.  (Yes, I'd have sheep and a sheep dog in my Pennsylvania home.)

And a barn to house my horses whose stalls my fantasy grooms would take care of.  Hope you loved this home.  I loved posting about it for you.


The first three images of kitchens presented next were found in Veranda's spring of 1998 issue.  But, before the kitchens, I found a home in this same issue with Thierry Poncelet's aristochiens hanging on the wall.  Thinking of Greet Lefevre's earlier post about this topic, I thought I'd add it here.  So, Greet, this one's for you.

Now to the kitchens.  I do remember my topic even while straying.
It is so well-equipped that I know delightful dishes are made here.

Don't know what to say about the stuffed fowl.

Great pottery on top two shelves, and great organization on the bottom two.

About this next kitchen,  I'm sorry to say that I have no source.  When I tore the pages out long ago, who knew they'd be in my blog!

Not sure these Andirondack chairs would be any more comfortable than ladder-backs, but the fireplace in the kitchen scores high.

I will be away for the next ten days visiting friends and relatives in South Carolina and Florida.  Will visit Savannah and Charleston for the first time ever, will join a house and garden tour, will listen to  a lecture by Victoria Wyeth, and will enjoy good friends, close relatives, and warm weather.  I'm bringing my camera so may have photos to share that may delay my next Pennsylvania posting.  But maybe not, I'm not the world's best photographer.
Till next time,
b
















3 comments:

  1. Oh Billie,
    I do understand why you can't stop posting these beautiful homes!! I so remeber me the second house in AD!! I also have filed some of the pictures because as you, I just love the Pennsylvania stone houses ! The interiors as the exterior of the house spoke to me!! And that barn!! Oh my!
    And thank yoy so much for the pictures of the aristochiens!! Woouww I hadn't seen these before!! Wonderful my friend, thank you!!
    I wish you a safe trip visiting your relatives!! Talk to you soon my friend!!
    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billie, I guess we share more then a few dreams.... but dreams they will be... for now!
    Your pictures of the Valley Forge home are beautiful and still hold true today. Classic. Almost 40 years have passed and yet, it feels not dated.
    The owners of the Peaceable Farm have it gotten so right!
    And I think June is the most rewarding early summer month! Everything is still so fresh, but developed, there is no draught damage and one cannot feel the tiredness of some later summer days.
    All my three sons are born in June, perhaps I am a little bias.....

    Anyway, enjoy the journey! I am in love with Savannah and now it really well! I spend a couple of weeks there last summer and would like nothing better then to join you there!
    Go to Gryphon's Tea room, they have excellent lunch, but unfortunately no real tea....
    There is a wonderful old fashioned one on Boughton Street, corner Bull.
    But I guess you know Savannah?
    One of the best places to eat: The Olde Pink House (get reservation) and Elisabeth on 37 th Street. (the same) These are two magical places!
    Have fun and enjoy your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It meant of course I KNOW it well! Sorry! I hate typos.

    ReplyDelete